Aroor Sri Karthyayani temple
Aroor is a big village in the border of the kingdom of Travancore and Cocin of the olden stays situated near NH 47. It is about 22 km away from Alappuzha town. There is a belief its earlier name was Athiroor(The village near the border). It is believed that Vilavangalthu Samiyar was returning from Trivandrum to Guruvayur and happened to take rest below a huge tree. Suddenly he could see the presence of Goddess there .By his wisdom he understood that it was Karthyayani devi and built a temple for her. It seems he stayed there for some time worshipping the Goddess and later entrusted the management of that temple to various Nambudiri families. There is also a mention that it was one of the 108 devi temples which was consecrated by Parasurama all over Kerala and this place was called “Kattil Pisharam”
During the march of Tippu Sultan through Kerala people believe that he broke the stattue of Goddess Karthyayani ,Later the temple fell in to disuse for several years. It is believed that seven Nayar families settled here ,They are believed to have repaired the temple and got made a new idol of Karthyayani and consecrated her here. In those families there was a very great man called Kannam kulangara kaimal . A thought occurred to him that the power of this great temple was getting reduced and he felt because of the prosperity of the families of the families who have settled in the village also would diminish.One day he happened to see the goddess in person looking very famished and tired .Kaimal realized that it was the Goddess. He told her to take rest and promised her , he would bring a tender coconut for her. He requested her to wait till then . He then went to his home and committed suicide by hanging. ThE goddess remembering his words waited for him for some time and later went in to the sanctorum. The Soul of Kaimal who committed became a spirit and started wandering here and there and at that time the prosperity of the temple further reduced. The Soul of Kaimal stated living in a Palmyra tree to the south of the Aroor temple.People started liking this spirit and started calling him “Aru kola Ammavan (Uncle who faced bad death).” As they found the spirit was helping them a lot.Later this temple management was taken over by the Travacore kings. Thorough repair was done to the temple by Ayilyam Thirunal king who lived between 1860-1880. And today it is one of the important temple under Travancore DEvaswam board.. The temple is a small one and faces east..The idol of the Goddess is made using black stone and has four hands.Statutes of Lord Shiva, Lord Ganapathi , Naga devathas and Arukola(the spirit of the Kaimal who committed suicide) are found in side this small temple .Below a Branyan tree a Brahma Rakshas and Yakshi have also been consecrated, . The templke does not have any carvings or paintings .
YThe temple has a grand festival for eight days in the month of Meenam ending in Uthram star. The Last three days of the Mandala time is celebrated as Thalapoli. Several devotees have felt the greatness of the Goddess as she used to solve their problems without fail..Let her also bless all those who read this compilation.